Sunday, December 25, 2011

Merry Christmas friends and fellow quilters!

For Christmas this year, my genius son, Preston, helped me get my very own blog! My intention is to keep you posted with current projects, both quilting and knitting- actually, I hope to post on all the creative aspects of life.

The quilting corner of my room is spilling over with "creative clutter" as my dear hubby calls it...and before it takes over the whole bedroom space, I hope to beat it back to a manageable mess. I've dedicated the month of January to organize which means dealing with a whole lot of UFOs. And that is where you come in. I hope to post photos of my billions of unfinished projects and maybe someone reading this will get an inspiration.

One of my favorite projects ever was the Round Robin Quilt we did with six members of our quilting guild. We each did a center block and it went around to the other five participants who designed and applied the next border. All six quilters made one border on each quilt and when we got our projects back (the flying home party) we were thrilled to see the finished product. It brought a whole new dimension to each project as my quilting friends put their own creative spin on the quilt taking shape. I included a little notebook with my project and reading back on the design notes and inspirations still makes me smile.

So as the new year approaches, and we each make resolutions and changes to improve our lives, let's keep our creative juices flowing and whatever you do to ward off cabin fever, do it with joy!

3 comments:

  1. Well dear Lonnie, as we have often seen, we are of like minds. Since downsizing to a smaller home nearly 4 years ago I have learned to go through my quilting/scrapping projects and supplies with a more critical eye. I have made tremendous progress but am not there yet. As my family grows new projects appear and those UFOs get pushed back further on the to do list. (Love having a new grand daughter and daughter in law! You know better than I as you have been blessed even more so!) So I am again at a bursting point in that my supplies are overflowing my space. So I'm with you. Let's sort,glean, organize and create this year. I'll take the January challenge with you.
    What are we doing first?
    Dawn Elise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dawn, for your encouraging post! I was thinking of you and your organizing and streamlining when I made this goal to finally get things under control. The last time my sewing area was in order was the fall we had the Tea and Flea Party! How many years ago was that? Even my girls were amazed that my room was so clean! It's amazing what a little social pressure can do :)
    Anywho, I figured that the best place to start was making a list of all my UFOs. The idea of selling or trading some came next...but at the very least, I want to prioritize and finally finish some things that I really love and can't wait to see completed.
    We've talked in the past about an art quilt group. I would LOVE to get together with you if you still want to try that idea. A group of two would be fine with me and I really crave creative input and I think we could spark off each other's ideas. What do you think?
    My Christmas has been buzzing with my precious grandchildren, my kiddos and my family from Wasilla here. I just spent the last three days cooking and cleaning nonstop...I'm dying to sew! Thursday is the day everybody leaves :( a sad day...but to be honest, I'm already planning to begin this challenge Friday by getting an inventory done.
    Any free time this weekend? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Grandson is here til the 9th. Don't see to much free time til. After that. Have been doing a bright flannel baby quilt for Scarlet. She will be 1 next week! Am machine quilting it now. I need to
    Find a bright primary sold for the binding. So nice to be sewing. I need to go through my UFOs again. I would like to meet to sew. What is your schedule weekdays? Afternoons would be best for me. I think I'm
    Gonna do Zumba on post soon too. Wanna go?
    I've done some digging in my piles. Need to do more. Our Tea and Flea was super. Should we do
    It again?
    Typing from my phone which is being funky!!!

    ReplyDelete