Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Butterfly Kisses

My very dear friend asked me tonight if I had anything to enter into the fair tomorrow.... “Nope. Not me”, was my reply... “hasn’t been a very productive year for my crafts. But I survived”...I continued.

And that is pretty much the truth.

Then tonight I remembered I had one more thing to do before I went to bed. Actually two. I made two pillowcases. Two butterfly, dragonfly, streak of yellow sunshine pillowcases for the two beautiful young ladies flying in tomorrow night after midnight to visit the home of their beloved friend. And seek closure...some solace from being in the last place they saw her.

I survived the past year after losing a most beloved granddaughter. She was our first and only for 6 years and I miss her every single day. This past year has been excruciating. But I survived.

Tonight I made pillowcases because I could. It was the first time I’ve touched my sewing machine in many months and it felt so good to be fingering the beautiful cotton prints that will cover the pillows of 2 beautiful girls. The Bff’s of my beloved. Perhaps the pillows they will hug and cry into as they snuggle in Devin’s bed one more time. The bed they all shared some nights when silly teenaged girls stayed up way too late and told secrets. Stories of how things were and how they wanted them to be. Fears. Heartbreaks. Giggles. Fart jokes.

As I sewed, it occurred to me that I was touching something that will touch them long after they leave here and that’s the gift we give when we make a quilt. Or a pillowcase. Or any fiber art or craft that we give to those we love. Mittens. Scarves that hug us like a beloved friend.

I remembered tonight making pillowcases for my sweet niece’s children when they lost their dad several years ago. I didn’t have time to make them quilts but pillowcases were easy and communicated that I loved them and that I cared.

So friends...never underestimate the small things. Small acts of kindness that go far beyond grand or pompous gestures but that say, “I love you and I care”.

No comments:

Post a Comment